Monday, April 7, 2014

Why I feel you should consider seeing how you move on video

I am always looking for ways to become a better Personal Trainer. Some trainers call it adding tools to our training tool boxes. I think this is because I come from a family of analytical thinkers. My Dad was a systems analyst and both of my brothers are engineers. Math is a strength in my family.

One of the best ways to learn how you move is to see yourself on video.


Entrepreneur magazine just ran article Do You Have the Body Language of a Champion?






How does this article relate to my training clients?





A couple of years ago I found a link on Vern Gambetta's blog Functional Path Training for a Ipad App called Kinesio Capture (since renamed Spark Motion. I went into my research mode to find out as much as I could about this app. The more I found, the more I had to have it. Up until this time I had never considered the need for an Ipad. I wanted this app so much that I to purchased an Ipad so that I could begin using Kineso Capture with my clients.

Many Strength and Conditioning coaches in the Pros and Colleges use Kinesio Capture when working with their athletes. Some more examples of professionals that use it are: Golf Pros, Physical Therapist, Athletic Trainers, Swim Coaches, Tennis Coaches, Soccer Coaches, just to name a few.
If this many pros are using it, I knew it had to be a great tool.

Even though I feel one of my biggest strengths as a trainer is analyzing client movements, I knew this would take my analytical skills to a whole new level. One of the biggest benefits of this is its portability. There have been video movement analysis programs in the past, but they weren't nearly as portable.
 
In order to use them the athletes/clients had to go where the camera was. Since I go to clients homes, I needed something portable if I was going to record some of their movements.

I now had a way to video clients movements, and instantly show it to them. I can also analyze them later and e-mail the results or show them to the client at a later time. Each client has their own file. This also allows me to show them changes in the way they are moving over time.
A screen shot of the video analysis tools with the Grid and Bullseye being used.
 
Kinesio Capture has many video analysis tools. My favorite is slow motion analysis. The app allows the Ipad to record video in 30 frames per second. I can speed up or slow down the video by one one hundredths of a second in forwards or reverse direction.


Some of my favorite features to use are:

     -Freezing the video, which allows me to:
     -Take a snap shot and then analyze the snap shot.
     
 

 -When analyzing the snap shot I can figure out joint angles. Example: The angle of your torso and shins should be close to the same when squatting. Her torso could be a little more vertical. 7degrees difference is ok.
 - It has a ruler function so I can measure spacing of body parts.
 - A grid that covers the entire screen which allows me to see how various joint move.
 - Bullseye which also me to focus better on what I want to video. 
- Zooming feature to focus on one part of the body. (example below is the knee)
  

With my specializing in training older adults you might be thinking they don't need this kind of feedback. Even if my clients never see any of the videos, going back and analyzing what I have recorded helps me figure out any changes I will have them work on in the near future. I.E. it makes me a better trainer.

Have you ever considered having some of your exercises recorded and analyzed. It just might help you figure on why that knee, hip, back or shoulder are hurting.

No comments: