Sunday, March 23, 2014

Smartwatches: Eat your heart out, Dick Tracy!

Maybe he doesn't value his brain as much as he should. More likely just suffering from "it can't happen to me syndrome".

Our TV in the kitchen was on CBS when I turned it on this morning. (March Madness last night) Their Sunday Morning program was covering Smart Watches.

They are showing a man who is on the cutting edge for his use of technology. "Bob Troia is part of what's called the Quantified Self movement -- using gadgets to monitor your own health, stress, sleep and fitness....." "Over the last five years or so, I've spent probably in the range of $25,000 on devices related to tracking and monitoring and optimizing all aspects of my life," he said.

They then show him bicycling WITHOUT a helmet.

Not Bob, just another John without his helmet on.

How smart can someone be to spend so much on "High-Tech Devices" and not spend a lot less on a "Low-Tech" one called a helmet? Having worked in a Head Injury Unit of a hospital I have seen first hand the terrible effects Head Injuries can cause.
If you are going to be "High-Tech Smart" please try to make sure you are also "Low-Tech Smart"

2 comments:

Bob said...

Hi Keith, thanks for the comments and for calling me out on not wearing a helmet. The footage of me riding my bike was spontaneously shot on my block with no traffic, and it wasn't until after we wrapped up filming the segment that I realized I was not wearing my helmet. I agree that everyone should be "low tech" smart and always use a helmet!

Keith Sutorius said...

You are welcome Bob. Now we just need to get John to always wear one.
Sounds to me like you usually are "Low Tech Smart". I even left my house once without one and about 1/2 a mile into the ride wondered what felt so weird. Once I figured it out, headed home to get it.