Saturday, March 29, 2014

"I believe that life itself is an athletic event. Therefore, I believe that most older adults should train like athletes."

I don't like it when I see everyone sitting down as they try to build their strength. There are companies that market their machines specifically to the senior market.

Are older adults being taught how to train functionally? (and why I believe they should be)


It bothers me every time I see older adults being put on strength training machines when being taught how to exercise.  One of our local Senior organizations is constantly promoting their new machines. Both they and their teachers/trainers/coaches are selling themselves short.  I feel the main reason machines are used is it is easier to teach how to train that way. It is an example of taking the easier way out, or following the path of least resistance. IMO, easier is usually the opposite of better.

During my first job in the fitness field (at Wetterau Incorporated Employee Fitness Center) from 1989 until 1993, I taught members who to use the Universal machines we had in the weight room. We had some free weights in the room, but about the only thing they were used for bench pressing and arm curls. This was actually a good thing since I had no idea how to teach anyone how to squat, lunge, hip hinge or deadlift. It wasn't until 1996 when I began studying for my NSCA Personal Trainer Certification that I began to learn how these movements should be taught.  

The clients I have worked with Parkinson's Disease train while standing on their feet. What is your excuse?
Can you imagine older adults doing this for strength. I can. They just have to be able to tailor the exercises to their current abilities.

If you want to get better balance, you should learn to train on your feet. The older we get, the more important training your balance becomes. Therefore; the older we get, the more important it becomes to train while on our feet.
This will help improve balance.

I realize not everyone is going to be able to do all their training while standing. Machines can have their place in training. (It is common knowledge that you can get stronger and/or bigger muscles training on them. All you have to do is look at body builders. A lot of them tend to rely on machines to perform their strength training)  The question is how functional this increase in strength is. How much work do all the supporting muscles get when you don't have to rely on them while seated? How much control of movements do you learn when a machine is in control of the path that your body is moving in? How different muscle groups learn to coordinate their movements is very important to strength and balance training. Keep in mind the phrase: USE IT, OR LOSE IT. This applies to the coordination I am writing about.

How did I develop this attitude when it comes to how I train my clients? One name sticks out.

Vern Gambetta
This quote is mine: "I believe that life itself is an athletic event. Therefore I believe most people should train like athletes."

Once exposed to Vern Gambetta's training ideas I decided when he talks, I better listen.
One of my favorite sayings is: "Pick your mentors wisely." I feel that I did a great job making Vern my favorite mentor. I learned more about how athletes should train from Vern than anyone else.

In addition to being a great coach, he is very good at expressing his thoughts.

His post on the simplicity in coaching sums up my training philosophy nicely. Even though his post share his ideas on training athletes they still apply to older adults. I use these points when training  every one of my clients.

From his blog post:

"The following are some systematic athletic development concepts on which I base my training. They are very simple and straightforward and they can be made as complex as necessary.

Dynamic postural alignment and dynamic balance are the foundation for all training

Train movements not muscles

Train fundamental movement skills before sport specific skills

Train postural strength before extremity strength

Train body weight before external resistance

Train joint integrity before joint mobility

Train strength before strength endurance and power before power endurance

Train speed before speed endurance

Train to build work capacity appropriate for your sport or event
Train sport appropriate - You are what you train to be"

Thank you Vern for being such a great mentor to me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Keith,

This looks like a great resource. I am a big advocate for health and fitness for seniors. If you have a spare minute, visit Modern-senior.com. I would love for you to do a guest post for my site.

Best,

Amy

Keith Sutorius said...

Amy,

Thanks you for the kind words. Your site looks awesome too. I would love to be a guest poster on your site. The amount of info on yours makes my blog and web site look small.

Frances Shani Parker said...

I work out regularly and have so much admiration for seniors I see doing many of the actual physical exercises you mentioned with their doctors' approval. A few are on chemo and a even use walkers or sit when standing is too much for them. The point is they try as hard as they can to get a balance of cardio, endurance, balance, strength, and stretching.

When I hear other seniors I know say they get all the "workout" they need "running around after my grandkids" or walking only, I remind them to remember that if they fall one day and are sitting on the floor with a halfway good heart rate and can't lift their own body weight to get up.

We use EnhanceFitness, a well-rounded, award-winning exercise program implemented nationally in many older adult communities. You can read more about it here:
http://hospiceandnursinghomes.blogspot.com/2012/03/older-adult-enhancefitness-program.html

Keith Sutorius said...

While that program is impressive, I believe you would see even better results if the participants would get individualized programing when it comes to improving their postures.