Thursday, May 24, 2012

Why train your balance?

A few days ago my daughter and a couple of her friends came in when I heard my wife ask one friend how her mom was doing. The friends response is why I love helping people. She said her mom was really stressed out. Her grandma had fallen and broken one arm and possibly her hip. Now her mom was having to deal with the stress of this situation. We have a good friend who's dad fell and has never been the same. His daughter has had to deal with all the after affects of his fall.


What could both daughters done to make things easier on themselves? They could have hired a personal trainer for their respective parent. I happen to be the trainer that focuses on balance exercises as much as strength exercises with my clients. Very few people work on their balance on a regular basis.



This is what motivates me. If I had been working with grandma she probably wouldn't have fallen. If she did fall, she would have been able to control the fall better and probably not been hurt so badly. Even if she still broke her hip, she would recover much better than the average person.


How do I know this. I worked with a women who ended up breaking both her hips within a few years. The medical staff each time was amazed how well she recovered from each break. I give the credit to all the squats and various hip exercises she had done in the previous six years. Without them she might have never lived at home again.


In this case my exercises didn't prevent hip fractures, but they did allow the client to recover from then much better than if she had never been my client. If she had been younger when I began working with her, she could have performed a more intense routine which would have strengthened her bones more and decreased the chance of hip fractures.


Although is is never too late to begin a well designed balance and strength program, the sooner you begin, the better the results.


Soon I will post ways you can test how good your balance is.

No comments: